Wanted: TOUR GUIDE & CURATOR’S ASSISTANT
The Amherstburg Freedom Museum, located in Amherstburg, Ontario, is a community-based, non-profit museum that tells the story of AfricanCanadians’ journey and contributions, by preserving and presenting artifacts that educate and inspire. It consists of the Museum complex which houses permanent and temporary exhibits, the Taylor Log Cabin - a historic home, and the Nazrey African Methodist Episcopal Church, National Historic Site.
Positions Available: 3
Duration: 9 weeks* Hours: 40 hours per week, Tuesday through Sunday
Suggested start and end date: May 8 to August 25, 2017*
Basic computer skills, fluency in written and spoken English, willing and able to learn new information to share with visitors, friendly and well-mannered, neat and well-groomed, trustworthy with money, confident to speak before a group. Fluency in spoken French is desirable but not a requirement.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primarily, to conduct interpretive museum tours for visitors. Additionally, welcome visitors upon entry to the museum, process payment and gift shop purchases, answer phones, and provide guided tours and education programming to school groups, other tour groups, and walk-in visitors of the museum’s campus and its two historic buildings offered in English or French (if possible); National Historic Site the Nazrey A.M.E. Church and the Taylor Log Cabin. In addition to these tasks, the incumbent will assist the Curator/Administrator and staff with day to day operations, special projects related to the care and preservation of the museums historic artifacts, the operation of the museum's special events which aim to incorporate the celebration of Canada 150 and other duties as assigned.
Lines of Communication
Supervision will be provided by the Curator/Administrator. The site is physically small and all work will be performed in close proximity to the supervisor.
Times Needed and Place of Work
At the museum, for 40 hours per week during the period Tuesday through Sunday.
Canada Summer Jobs eligibility requirements:
• Applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
• Applicants was registered as a fulltime student during the preceding academic year; and intends to return to school on a fulltime basis during the next academic year;
• Applicant is a student in a secondary, postsecondary, vocational or technical program 2 277 King St. Amherstburg, ON N9V 2C7 (519) 736 – 5433 1 – 800 – 713 – 6336 Amherstburgfreedom.org firstname.lastname@example.org
• Applicant is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
• Applicant is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations. Preference will be given to members of a visible minority and fluent in both official languages, but all applicants will be considered. Please note that this position is conditional upon funding. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Application deadline is April 24, 2017
Contact Information Mary-Katherine Whelan Acting Curator 277 King St., Amherstburg, ON, N9V 2C7 519-736-5433 firstname.lastname@example.org
* Availability and duration of the position are conditional upon approval of Canada Summer Jobs Funding. To download this job posting click here.